Thursday, March 12, 2009

So they were turning after all, those cameras...

Nicole started this questionnaire, and I thought I'd play too.

Who was the first actor/actress that you were first interested in?
Bette Davis. Last year on what would have been her 100th birthday, TCM aired a 24-hour marathon of her films. I had only just gotten into classic films at that point and had only seen her in All About Eve and Jezebel, so I tuned in to see what all the fuss was about. I ended up leaving it on from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m.

How old were you when you really began watching old movies?
18.

What was the first old movie that caught your interest?
Penny Serenade

Who is currently your favorite actor?
I'm not sure I really have one. I guess I tend to gravitate toward Cary Grant.

Who is currently your favorite actress?
Bette Davis

What is your favorite old movie and why?
All About Eve. The script and the performances are all absolutely dazzling.

How many old movies do you own?
Probably about 35. I don't have them with me, so it's hard to count them by memory.

How many old movies do you have recorded/ on the dvr?
None. I don't have a DVR, and my VCR is hooked up to a TV that doesn't get TCM.

If you could go back in time and visit any actor/actress, who would it be?
I'm not sure I would go. I think it would shatter the mystique of these big classic Hollywood stars.

Who is one actor/actress that you want to know more about?
Lately I've been curious about Greta Garbo.

What film could you watch over and over again?
All About Eve. I think at this point even my roommate has it memorized.

What is your favorite Hitchcock film?
Notorious. I wish Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman had done more films together; they were great here and in Indiscreet.

Who is your favorite director?
This is a tough call. Probably Frank Capra.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta love Bette Davis! :-)

    On a side note, I just wanted to tell you how much I love your Post headlines. They are always so clever, mysterious and alluring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capra - great choice! But these questions were sure hard to answer. I am too quite obsessed with Bette Davis and All About Eve - that script has to be one of the best in motion picture history! And I simply adore George Sanders as Addison DeWitt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raquelle: Thanks! I'm actually terrible at coming up with titles, so when I started using LiveJournal (many, many moons ago) I "cheated" by using lines from whatever song lyrics I happened to be listening to. I carried the tradition over to this blog with movie quotes, so I'm glad you like them.

    Lolita: All About Eve is easily my favorite movie ever. I completely agree with you about the script; it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete